Thursday, March 22, 2007

Birdielog - 220307

Some of these birds are always around, so I won't mention them from the next time on unless they are unusually absent for a long period of time. Let's call these "The Cold Reading" - that is, you don't actually have to TRY to spot them - you will encounter these without too much actual birdwatching. In order of descending size,
  • Black Kite
  • Jungle Crow (Large-Billed Crow)
  • House Crow
  • Asian Koel
  • Blue Rock Pigeon (the 'synthetic' urban breed - I have my misgivings actually attributing the name)
  • Rose-Ringed Parakeet
  • White-Cheeked Barbet - not the Brown-Headed Barbet, confirmed almost positively as of June 2007
  • Common Myna
  • Jungle Myna
Range : Richmond Town, Richmond Park
Time : 0800 - 0915 hrs
March 22, 2007

Sighted for sure:

  • Spotted Dove
  • Rosy Starling (flock)
  • Oriental Magpie-Robin
  • Black Drongo
  • Common Tailorbird
  • Purple-Rumped Sunbird or Small Sunbird (difficult to tell)
  • Blyth's Reed Warbler or Booted Warbler (difficult to tell again...behaviour and call was more like the Booted Warbler)

Heard for sure but not sighted:

  • Red-Whiskered Bulbul
  • Greenish Leaf Warbler or Large-Billed Leaf Warbler (most probably the former)

Suspected:

  • Grey-Headed Starling (don't know if the flocks have gone up North already, since they are always with the Rosy Starling flocks and are difficult to actually see)
  • Tickell's Flowerpecker (so tiny that it's almost impossible to spot; only the call gives it away)
  • At least one or two small species up in the canopy which cannot be identified without field glasses ....

Memo to me : Get myself some field glasses !!!

My roster above is not comprehensive; any number of other skulking birds could be present. A lot of these are expert at losing themselves in the foliage so you don't even suspect they are there. For instance, yesterday (21st March) I did sight a couple of Eurasian Golden Orioles. Now that doesn't mean they weren't around today; it could mean that they silently managed to keep out of sight today; or that they could show up if I had stayed longer, etc.

Among the birds I always suspect are around, that I haven't yet actually been able to sight are the following:

  • Common Iora
  • Oriental White-Eye

Again, there are birds that pass by and sometimes stay awhile for no apparent rhyme or reason, that I did not see today, however....the foremost of these is the Great Tit.

Ok....we'll need to wait for tomorrow to see who else turns up :):)

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to give my my Minolta 10x50s before I go down under...

    ReplyDelete