Monday, March 26, 2007

Birdielog - 260307

Well, well, well.

Sometimes we all go to Siberia, right ?? !!!! How often does that happen?

I have at least one really cherished experience to share as a birdwatcher (at least two, after today). If I count each experience watching a great tit as a cherished one (and why not!) then that number would swell to at least a dozen.

Today the spectacle was a strange one. There was no possible way I could have been prepared for it.

Today, what I believe to be either an Ashy Drongo or a White-Bellied Drongo (most probably the latter) was being chased around, over and over, by a Eurasian Golden Oriole. Now Golden Orioles and Black Drongos nest pretty much in close proximity - actually, the accurate thing to say is that Golden Orioles like to nest as close to a Black Drongo nest as possible, because the Black Drongo is not a bird to be trifled with as far as fighting off predators are concerned.

But this was a slightly different thing. White-Bellied Drongos are not city-dwellers (neither is the Ashy Drongo)...and the first thing I noticed this morning was what I thought was a Black Drongo (which is black all over) with white underparts (!!!). And this was an expertly agile bird - more than twice, I saw bugs flying up really close and this chap just swivelled on his perch, turned in an instant and swallowed up the bug out of thin air. He didn't even need to leave the perch - he had his food come to him on wings :) I've seen Black Drongos hunt bugs, and the bird I saw this morning was far more of an expert than a Black Drongo.

The call was also different - much more musical and cheery than the harsh sounds the Black Drongo makes. Then came the spectacle. A Golden Oriole began chasing this chap around. I witnessed an extremely agile, high-speed flight duet that went on for about 15 minutes. The Oriole just wouldn't leave this Drongo alone. And get this - all along, the Drongo just kept feeding.

I won't attempt to explain this behaviour because I don't know too much about Orioles or Drongos to sustain my theories. But I was convinced that this was no ordinary Black Drongo - the white underparts were unmistakeable. I think this was the White-Bellied Drongo....considerably outside its normal environs. Such sights happen once a year, or perhaps twice if you're lucky......and I certainly was, this morning.

Later, there was another treat in store - the OTHER call of the Golden Oriole - so musical and so pleasant. The Eurasian Golden Oriole is not a very vocal bird - there is one really harsh scream somewhat like a broken piano string, and there are also horrible sounds which make you think the bird is in painful agony. But there is also this clear, fluty, liquid, musical whistle, much is more pure and breathy than the Red-Whiskered Bulbul's, which I heard today. When I heard it for the first time, I thought it indeed must be a Red-Whiskered Bulbul....but just more soft and musical. I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that it was an Oriole :)

I always thought that a splendidly colourful bird like the Oriole should also have a call to match - and now I know.

Only God could have put golden yellow, black and orange together so masterfully....the Oriole is a vision of beauty. Then, what do you know, God even puts rose-pink and black together so expertly - you have the Rosy Starling!

Well, on to the roster then....

Range : Richmond Town, Richmond Park
Time : 0745 - 0930

"The Cold Reading"

Sighted for sure:

  • Spotted Dove (what a lovely, lovely bird this is!!!)
  • Eurasian Golden Oriole
  • White-Bellied Drongo ? (:):):):)) or the Ashy Drongo
  • Rosy Starling (flock)
  • Grey-Headed Starling (flock)
  • Oriental Magpie-Robin
  • Oriental White-Eye
  • Tickell's Flowerpecker
Heard for sure:

  • Common Tailorbird
  • Booted Warbler ?

Other incidental sightings:

Sighted what looked to me to be a Barn Owl, flying noiselessly through the trees by the side of Langford Road, around 8:00 P.M. on 25th March. It's like watching a ghost......can be a bit scary.

Hmmmmm......let's see what tomorrow brings!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment