Monday, June 18, 2007

Birdielog - June 2007

Hmmm. Some interesting sights.

The roster:

"The Cold Reading"

Sighted for sure:
  • Brahminy Kite
  • Barn Owl (in Langford Town, a huge one, in daylight at about 6 P.M, squatting on a car top. Scared me a bit.)
  • White-Breasted Kingfisher (seems to pass through Richmond Town quite regularly)
  • Spotted Owlet (my scariest sighting ever. On a parapet wall on my walk back, late evening. The same evening I spotted the Barn Owl. I looked up, and there he was, staring at me. I had to walk away from him because it was so startling and I was not sure what he would do!)
  • Spotted Dove (where would I be without these lovely, lovely birds!!!)
  • Oriental Magpie-Robin (the breeding season is almost over....so these beauties will vanish into the shrubbery and skulk till next February:(:( - No more sweet songs, only a plaintive 'sweeee')
  • Red-Whiskered Bulbul
  • Great Tit
  • House Swift (a dedicated couple always flying about in Richmond Town)
  • Common Tailorbird
  • Small Sunbird
  • Oriental White-Eye
  • There was also a small little raptor soaring high with the Black Kites in Richmond Town. This one was so white and pure, but definitely did not seem like a Tern or a Gull. My guess is, the Shikra. Cannot be sure yet, though.
Must also record some interesting sightings at Golden Palms resort on Tumkur Road:
  • Large Pied Wagtail (a couple by the pool, quite unafraid)
  • Red-Whiskered Bulbul (totally fearless and common)
  • Spotted Munia or Scaly-Breasted Munia (first time I ever saw one)
  • Purple-Rumped Sunbird
  • House Swift
  • Tickell's Flowerpecker (a wonderful close-up)
The Rose-Ringed Parakeet situation is slowly improving, which is heartening. Let's see what develops......

No comments:

Post a Comment